Ingredients for the Orange Reduction
- 1 Head Baby frisée
- 12 Each Baby Beets, washed, dried, and greens cut to ¼ inch
- 3 Each Garlic cloves
- 12 Each strips Reggiano parmesan cheese, sliced with a potato peeler
into long strips
- 2 Each Oranges, segmented. Reserve ½ of 1 orange rind for
roasting the beets. Slice with no pith.
- 1 Bulb Fennel, sliced paper thin
- Up to ¾ Cup Peanut oil
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- ¼ Cup Orange reduction
- 2 Tablespoons+ Rice Vinegar
- ½ Cup Freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ Each Thai chili pepper, seeded and
- 2 Each Kaffir leaves - the zest of 1 lime may be
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, fresh, and chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
Method for the beets
-In a bowl, toss beets, garlic, orange rind, salt and pepper and 1 Tablespoon of peanut oil.
-Pour onto a large sheet of aluminum foil. Wrap the foil into a "package", assuring that air cannot
-Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until tender.
-Once cool, peel beets by rubbing the skin off easily. Cut beets in half
Method for the orange reduction
-Add all ingredients except the lime leaves to a saucepot (if using lime zest, add at the beginning
with the other ingredients).
-Bring to a simmer and reduce by half.
-add lime leaves and allow to steep like tea until cool.
Method for vinaigrette
-Add salt, pepper and vinegar to the orange reduction and place in a food processor.
-Gradually add (in a small stream) oil into orange mixture while running, allowing it to emulsify.
Once it starts to thicken, stop machine and taste-you may not need all of the oil. Less oil will give
a light and pungent flavor, while more oil will mellow it a lot.
-Gently toss frisée, orange segments, fennel, beets, chives and vinaigrette in a bowl.
-Place in the center of the plate, piling high for a dramatic effect.
-Top the salad with the long parmesan strips
-For a special garnish, reserve some more orange rind. Grate it up and dry it. Sprinkle it over the
rim line of the plate.
Special Thanks to Michael's
on the Hill for this recipe