- 5 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into slices 1 inch thick.
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Soften butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and allspice
Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.
Wrap each yam in aluminum foil, pierce all over with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake the yams until tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 1 hour.
Place sweet potatos in a sauce pan with enough water to cover. Cook on stovetop until you can pierce with a folk. So not over cook.
In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, nuts and spices. Using a fork, mix until coarse and crumbly.
Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Place half of the yam slices in the prepared dish, arranging them in a single layer. Sprinkle evenly with half of the topping. Layer the remaining yam slices on top and sprinkle with the remaining topping. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake until the topping melts and is bubbling, 15-20 minutes.