- 2 large sweet onions
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cold water
- 6 envelopes instant chicken broth mix
- 1 quart hot water
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped finely
- Juice of one lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- thin slices unpeeled red apple
Cook onions in butter until soft but not brown. Stir in curry powder.
Blend cornstarch and cold water; add.
Stir over low heat until
slightly thickened and clear. Add a little of the hot mixture; cook and stir about one minute.
Add cream. Remove from heat. Add diced apples. Put
through electric blender or press through food mill or fine sieve.
Add lemon juice. Season to
taste with salt and pepper.
Serve hot or chilled, garnish with thin slices of unpeeled apple.