- 6 cups fresh or canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil with the butter. When the butter melts, add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth, pumpkin, and potato, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Working in batches, using a food processor or blender, Blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan and stir in orange zest and curry powder. Warm over low heat, stirring in the cream and the Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into bowls. Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.