New England Baked Beans
An easy, sweet, and delicious authentic Baked Beans recipes using real maple syrup.
- 2 lbs dried beans Soldier, Navy, Jacobs Cattle, Yellow-Eyed, or Great Northern
- 1 Large Onion Quartered (optional)
- 6 strips of bacon cooked and diced or 1/3 lb. salt pork sautéed lightly in pieces optional
- 1 1/2 cups Maple Syrup preferably amber or darker syrup is best
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Molasses the Darker the richer flavor
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 2 cups boiling water
- Rinse and pick over beans before using.
- Place these rinsed and picked-over beans in a LARGE container of cold water. The water should be more than double the depth of the beans in the pot as the beans will absorb a large amount of the water. Let the beans soak for 8 to 12 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Place in a large stockpot and cover with water, at least 3 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil and then boil until you can blow gently on the skin of the bean and the skin will start to pull away from the bean. Turn heat down to very low and add 1 heaping tablespoon of Baking Soda to the water. Stirring constantly or this will foam up and boil over. Cook for another 5 mins on low keeping a close eye on the pot. (The baking soda takes most of the gas from the beans).
- Drain and rinse the beans again. Make sure to rinse them well.
- Place in bottom of the baking dish, bean pot, or crock pot (6 quarts or larger and add onions, bacon or salt pork. Place beans in pot. Mix all remaining ingredients together and pour over beans. Make sure beans are covered.
- Bake at 350 Degree oven for about 2 to 3 hours or in Crock pot on Low for 6 hours and then finish in the oven for about 1 hour. Make sure the beans stay covered in liquid so they do not dry out. Test every 30 mins after the first 2 hours when baking or after 5 hours in Crock-Pot. Baked beans should be soft, not crunchy. Overcooked beasn will be mushy.