German Streusal Cake
- ¾ C Unsalted Butter
- ¼ C Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 C Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ C Milk
- ½ tsp. real vanilla extract
- 1 C fresh sliced fruit of choice apple, peach, pear, or whole cherries
- For the Cake: Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, set aside. Cream sugar and butter together, stir in eggs, and then alternate stirring in the flour mixture and the milk and vanilla extract.
- Grease and flour a small cookie sheet or a sheet cake pan. Pour batter in the pan, spread to evenly coat. Top with fresh sliced fruit.
- For the Streusel topping: Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut the butter in small pieces and drop in the flour mixture. Mix together well – the best way is to mix it with your hands—Mix until all is a consistency of a streusel topping. If it gets too dry, mix in a little more butter. If it gets too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Sprinkle over cake/fruit mixture in pan or cookie sheet. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes at 350 F.
- Serve with homemade fresh whipped cream
The secret to good whipped cream is to put the beaters and the bowl in the freezer for about 25 minutes before beating the cream.