Greek Spinach Pie Recipe
An authentic and delicous Greek Spinach Pie aka Spanakopita made with Phyloo dough
- 1 kilogram spinach either raw or frozen
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ½ kilogram feta cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of dill
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package of very thin “filo” pastry
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the chopped onion and spinach and simmer for around 10 min. For the next 5 minutes gradually start adding the feta cheese, milk, cream, eggs (slightly beaten), dill, pepper and salt.
- Open the filo pastry and place each thin pastry on the tray, oiling each one, using a brush. After you have done about 4-8 filo slices, place the spinach/feta mixture and spread over the entire oven tray, covering the pastry. On top of this, place another 4-6 filo slices, oiling each one of them as well.
- Place in a medium heat oven and cook at medioum heat for around 45 minutes, until brown. Enjoy!
The above recipe secret is to add “lots” of dill and do not forget the cream! In case you do not like feta cheese it may be replaced by any other cheese of your preference or a combination of both cheese types.