Latkes (Potato Pancake)
- 3 lb. potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbs. all-purpose flour or matzah meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 onion minced
- Black pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Grate the potatoes with a grater or food
- processor. Soak in cold water for 5 mins.
- Drain off all liquid, and squeeze the excess liquid out
- by hand. Beat the eggs and mix with the grated potatoes and other ingredients,
- except the oil.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium
- high heat until very hot. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoons
- into oil .
- Use a pancake turner to flatten them
- out. Fry to golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve topped with applesauce or sour cream.