Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 1 1/2 cups celery diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes crushed
- 1/2 cup parsley minced
- 8 cups instant vegetable stock
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cooked beans such as canned garbanzo and kidney or frozen limas
- 1/2 cup raw noodles such as whole wheat spinach, or artichoke - not too large
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- 2 cups total combined sliced/diced fresh vegetables such as cabbage carrots, green pepper, mushrooms, potatoes, and zucchini, or frozen peas, corn, and green beans
- Spread oil over bottom of large saucepan and sauté onion and celery until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, parsley, stock, and seasonings. Heat to just below boiling.
- Add cooked beans, raw noodles, and cooked barley. Simmer 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, steam vegetables until tender using very little water and add all to soup.
- Stir to mix and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.