- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or 1/4 cup sugar & 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine 2-3/4 cups of the cream with the bourbon and sugar/syrup in a medium-size nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup cream. Add this to the cream-and-bourbon mixture and simmer stirring often, until the mixture thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve warm. Great on heavy cakes like pound cakes, bread puddings,
- The sauce may be stored, for 24 hours. To serve, warm over low heat, stirring frequently.